The most effective way to treat mold is by preventing it. You can look around your house and do a spot check to prevent small areas of mold, which will prevent more severe issues in the long run. Most common household molds can be treated with a generic store cleaner and it takes little to no time to get the job done. These pesky indoor molds do have the potential to cause health risks over time if not treated, so addressing the situation is imperative.
To check your home for mold, you need to know two things:
- The Sight of Mold: All molds have a very distinct look to them. They appear spotty and can be multiple different colors depending on the type. The most common are dark green and black. When you are on the hunt for mold, begin in the rooms that hold the most moisture, like bathrooms and the basement. If you happen to see a water leak or a damp section of flooring in your home, mold is most likely growing nearby. Check pipes, windows, and doors. Discolored flooring or walls are also good indicators that mold is brewing under or in them.
- The Scent of Mold: Mold can be hard to see when it begins to grow in certain areas of the home. If it begins under the floor, or on the interior of a piece of drywall, there is no way that you would be able to see it. Fortunately, mold can usually be detected by smell as well. When mold begins to grow, it absorbs the nutrients from wood, paper, and other organic fibers that it comes in contact with. This creates a distinct smell, almost like the musty smell of rotting leaves or soil. If you smell this in your home, there is mold around.
These mold checks are important to do periodically to maintain a healthy environment for both you and your family to live in. Not all molds can be handled with an over the counter cleaners. For molds in hard to reach areas, or for large mold infestations, you should contact a professional to handle the situation. Not only will they ensure that all mold has been removed, but they will help you understand preventative measures to the infestation does not occur again. Some molds are more toxic than others and special chemicals and suits may be required for treatment. Professionals will get it done right the first time.
When it comes to mold, there are more than 100,000 different varieties and all of them can be harmful. Those exposed to different types of mold may not feel the effects of it right away, but over time your health is in jeopardy. There are over 30 different health problems that have been linked to mold exposure, the most common being allergies, asthma, and other respiratory issues.
The mold itself is not what is hazardous to the body. But, the mold produces mycotoxins that lead to health issues. On the minor side are rashes, but on the larger scale are different cancers. It all depends on what type of mold you have been exposed to, and for how long you were exposed to it.
The most common reaction to mold is allergy-like symptoms, with some experiences more symptoms than others. The length and type of exposure will determine the gravity of the symptoms that you are feeling. If your eyes are itchy, you are coughing, experiencing shortness of breath, have a stuffy nose or a sore throat, or have skin irritation, you may have been exposed to mold.
For those with asthma, mold can also trigger attacks. One may feel tightness in the chest, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and other symptoms. In children, exposure to mold can sometimes lead to an asthma diagnosis. Chronic sinus infections are also linked to mold exposure.
If you have pets, it is important to know that they are affected by mold in the same ways that we are. When they are exposed to mold, they can have difficulty breathing and may be wheezing, coughing, scratching, and licking to show that they are uncomfortable. Don’t let them ingest mold! Pets that eat mold can experience body tremors and muscle spasms.
If there is any concern with mold in your home, it is best to contact a professional with experience in finding the mold and the cause of it, while providing a solution to get it out of your home once and for all. Mold is no joke, and improper handling can cause it to spread and lead to further sickness for loved ones living in the home. It may seem like a minor issue, but you never know where else it could be lurking. The mold doesn’t always make itself visible, and those trained in the field know exactly where to look to find it.
When it comes to black mold, it is a major issue for any home or business. If it is not taken care of immediately, it will cause severe respiratory issues for those that are exposed to is. When you notice mold in your home, it is important to contact a professional to ensure that it is a common household mold, and not the dreaded black mold that causes so many issues. Professionals are ready to take on the mold, and are trained to take on the challenge of getting it completely out of the building in question.
The most common symptoms of black mold are:
- Reproductive Symptoms: miscarriage, fetal development issues, and infertility.
- Exhaustion and Discomfort: chest pain, fatigue, fever, nausea, and joint pains.
- Vision Issues: blurred vision, bloodshot eyes, jaundice, and eye damage.
- Neurological Symptoms: shortness of breath, disorientation, dizziness, depression, anxiety, and confusion.
Other symptoms include:
- Liver Damage
- Hair Loss
- Weight Loss
- Allergy-type Symptoms.
As you can see, this type of mold exposure is very severe, and can even be fatal. It the very least, letting this type of mold linger within the walls of your home will create respiratory issues for all those living at the home. It is not worth putting the people you love at risk for these conditions when a simple call can get the home checked out and assessed.
Of course, not all mold conditions are black mold and there are many more common household molds that you can encounter when owning a home. Simple shower or sink molds that accrue in kitchens and bathrooms can usually be treated with a topical cleaner from the convenience store. You will know the difference based on the seriousness of the outbreak and how you are feeling. The best way to know for sure that you don’t have black mold in the home is still to contact the professionals though. Guaranteeing health for your family certainly takes the lead when it comes to treating the issue.
If you are questioning what could be lurking in your home, don’t wait until it is too late. Try the topical solutions to treat common molds, and leave the rest to the professionals. In severe cases, it is not safe to treat the mold without heavy duty equipment and specific suits designed to keep the spores out. They will come in and ensure that your home is safe for you and your loved ones when it comes to mold.
Every day, millions of people come in contact without mold without even realizing it. Mold loves damp areas with little to no ventilation (like behind walls and under floors). Wherever water travels, mold can arise. Unfortunately, it is usually in places hard to see with the naked eye. There are true medical effects that mold can have on the human body, so it is not something to take lightly. If you have had a flood in your home and see any of the following signs, contact a professional immediately to ensure that you are protecting both your home and your loved ones.
- Musty Odor: Use your nose! As you are walking through your home, keep a conscious note of all the smells. Mold typically has an earthy or musty smell, and can find a home under floors or behind wallpaper. In these circumstances, smelling the issue is the only way to detect the issue.
- Visible Mold: If you see a blotchy substance on your walls or in another place of your home, it could be mold. The most typical colors for mold are green and black, but white and grey molds also exist. While it is easy to see around a sink or shower, it may take some investigating to locate it in different areas of the home.
- Allergy Symptoms: If you or a loved one have started to experience common allergy symptoms, such as: sore throat, stuffy nose, sinus congestion, skin irritation, eye irritation, cough, or upper respiratory infections, you may have a mold situation in your home.
- Water Damage: If you have experienced a water condition in your home due to weather or internal flooding, the moisture cause by it will most likely result in the growth of mold. If you see that the walls are becoming discolored, wood is getting warped, or paint is peeling, mold is probably the culprit.
A professional will come to your home at your convenience and get the situation under control, while looking at other areas of the home to ensure there isn’t any other mold brewing. They usually have specific chemicals to use based on the type of mold in the home, and protective suits to ensure that they stay healthy while treating the condition. If treated incorrectly by an inexperienced individual, the mold can spread and cause more damage to the home, and health issued for those living in it.