NO MOLD, NATURALLY

Dealing with mold or water damage in your home? Improve your quality of life with our all-natural products and services from Genesis Home Restorations.
Safe, affordable, and effective—that’s our promise to you, every time.

Blog

After Flooding

When thinking of home ownership, there are many natural disasters that can strike. Depending on where the home is located, tornadoes, snow storms, hurricanes, and flooding may be common. Although this is frightening, it is a reality that we all must face.

When looking back just this year, many families were displaced because of severe flooding of their homes due to hurricanes and other natural disasters. It is important to know what to do after the flood has occured in order to prevent further damages.

After a flood occurs, a major concern is the growth of mold and bacteria in the home. Wet environments are ideal for mold growth, and just a couple spores of mold can quickly turn into a major problem for the integrity of your home and the health of your family.

A team of experts has come up with the following steps to help prevent mold in a recently flooded home:
Act Fast: Within the first 2-48 hours, you have the best opportunity to prevent mold from occuring.
Stay Safe: Ensure that your home is structurally sound before heading back in to check out the damages and look into preventing the mold. When you have the okay, begin to assess damages.
Throw Away Compromised Materials: Anything cloth or anything located below the water line should be thrown away in order to prevent moisture from becoming the ideal home for mold. Tear up the carpeting, toss compromised furniture, and remove any belongings that may have been damaged as soon as possible.
Dry it Out: Open the windows, bring in heavy duty fans, and keep the air moving in the home in order to dry it out.
Treat It: If you see that mold has already started to grow, don’t just cover it up!
Call the Professionals: Mold isn’t something that should be handled by a novice. It is best to call those who are experienced in mold removal after a flood in order to ensure that there is none growing and lurking in the shadows.
We understand that it is devastating to come back to your home after a major flood, but the first step to rebuilding is taking care of any issues that have come up as a result of the disaster. Fast and affordable professionals can help with this process and get you back into your home quickly. Both preventative and treatment options are available based on needs. Protect your most valuable investment!

Black Mold Blues

If a homeowner finds mold in their home, it becomes a major concern. Everyone knows that it is imperative to take care of the issue immediately before the matter becomes worse. Typical household mold comes in many forms, and the one to really concern yourself with is what people call “black mold.” This type of mold isn’t specific to any specific climate or home size, and really can show up anywhere. Black mold has toxic spores that can lead to many health issues, and significantly decline the air quality of the home.

There are many ways to get rid of black mold if you perform an online search. Don’t do it! Trying to remove black mold yourself can make the issue worse and put those living in the home at risk for more serious health conditions. It is important to understand the risks of exposure to black mold in order to protect those in the home.

Professionals have the right tools and resources when it comes to getting rid of the black mold issue. If you are exposed to black mold, you may experience headaches, tiredness, skin issues, respiratory irritation, and continuous coughing or sneezing. In more serious situations, vomiting, bleeding in the lungs and nose, nausea, and other conditions may occur. With these conditions looming, hiring a professional is the best way to go when it comes to getting rid of the mold.

In addition to keeping you and your loved ones away from the health concerns that arise with black mold removal, professionals ensure that there is no hidden mold left in the home. Mold has been known to hide in places that one would never think of looking. While you would be able to remove the mold you saw, you wouldn’t know the other vital areas in the home to look at when determining that all of the mold is gone. Specialists have specific equipment to get rid of the black mold, including: air filters, protective suits, containment systems, and other heavy-duty machines.

The main reason homeowners look into the do-it-yourself option is because they don’t want to be bothered with the cost of hiring someone to take care of the mold problem. Though it is a tempting option, it isn’t wise in the long run. If done incorrectly, it can lead to a bigger problem in the future, and high medical bills for the homeowner and their loved ones living in the house.

Get it done right and make sure it is gone by hiring a professional with experience in removal and get piece of mind knowing that it is gone and that your home is safe again.

Mold vs. Mildew

Mold and mildew are two “M’s” that you really don’t want to hear about or experience as a homeowner. Both are a type of fungi, and they are nothing but a hassle when found in the home. Tile grout starts to flake off and look unappealing. Members of the household start to experience allergy symptoms. While both forms of fungi are similar, they are no the same. Both aren’t welcome in the home, and require different types of treatment options to get them out.

Mildew is on the milder side. It is less likely to be lethal and is easier to treat in the home. It typically has a white powdery appearance and is found on the surface of walls and other areas. Occasionally it is tinted yellow. Store bought cleaner and a scrub brush usually works well when it comes to removing it. But, if it is left alone for too long, it can become a bigger issue. When you see it, treat it!

The more serious fungi is mold. If you see different colored patches of black, green, brown or red you are most likely dealing with some type of mold. If you can see it, it is usually part of a bigger infestation that can cause damages to your house. Some people are allergic to mold and experience headaches, asthma, and eye issues. It is important to treat mold as soon as you see it in order to prevent further infestation and issues.

When it comes to treatment for mold and mildew, it depends on the size of the infestation. If it is small and generally seen on the surface, it may be able to be treated with a store bought the cleaner. Make sure the area is well ventilated and that windows are open. A fan will also help! Wear a mask and gloves when using the cleaners, as most have toxic ingredients.

If you are unable to determine how severe the issue is, consulting a professional is your best chance of ridding yourself of the problem. If the infestation proves to be more than just a surface problem, a mold removal service will take care of it for you. Relieve some stress knowing that all issues are resolved and the home is safe again. Professionals have the skills needed to locate the source of the infestation, and the tools and supplies needed in order to get rid of the problem and ensure that it doesn’t return.