NO MOLD, NATURALLY

Mold Detection

The most effective way to treat mold is by preventing it. You can look around your house and do a spot check to prevent small areas of mold, which will prevent more severe issues in the long run. Most common household molds can be treated with a generic store cleaner and it takes little to no time to get the job done. These pesky indoor molds do have the potential to cause health risks over time if not treated, so addressing the situation is imperative.   To check your home for mold, you need to know two things:
  • The Sight of Mold: All molds have a very distinct look to them. They appear spotty and can be multiple different colors depending on the type. The most common are dark green and black. When you are on the hunt for mold, begin in the rooms that hold the most moisture, like bathrooms and the basement. If you happen to see a water leak or a damp section of flooring in your home, mold is most likely growing nearby. Check pipes, windows, and doors. Discolored flooring or walls are also good indicators that mold is brewing under or in them.
  • The Scent of Mold: Mold can be hard to see when it begins to grow in certain areas of the home. If it begins under the floor, or on the interior of a piece of drywall, there is no way that you would be able to see it. Fortunately, mold can usually be detected by smell as well. When mold begins to grow, it absorbs the nutrients from wood, paper, and other organic fibers that it comes in contact with. This creates a distinct smell, almost like the musty smell of rotting leaves or soil. If you smell this in your home, there is mold around.
  These mold checks are important to do periodically to maintain a healthy environment for both you and your family to live in. Not all molds can be handled with an over the counter cleaners. For molds in hard to reach areas, or for large mold infestations, you should contact a professional to handle the situation. Not only will they ensure that all mold has been removed, but they will help you understand preventative measures to the infestation does not occur again. Some molds are more toxic than others and special chemicals and suits may be required for treatment. Professionals will get it done right the first time.