NO MOLD, NATURALLY

Plants and Gray Mold

Wherever plants are grown, gray mold can be lurking. It doesn’t matter if it is inside of your home, in a greenhouse, or on your front lawn. It spreads by both wind and water, so it is easy to become a victim of it! Sometimes it is dormant for the life of the plant, or if moisture permits, it can spread to other areas. When gray mold is first beginning to grow, it is white. It then turns gray and can have a hint of brown. The mold likes to attach itself to broken stems and other injured areas of the plant, before making its way to the healthy parts. Eventually, the whole plant can become enveloped in it! Lettuce, onions, strawberries, and grapes are prime real estate for gray mold.

One area where gray mold is welcomed is the vineyard. When it begins to accumulate on or around the grapes, it is called “noble rot.” It helps to make the grapes sweeter and adds flavoring to wine. Otherwise, gray mold is not a welcome addition to plants, greenhouses, or homes!

Gray mold makes many people experience allergy symptoms. A runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing, sore throats, and in more severe cases, coughing and wheezing are all indicators of mold growth in the area. It is similar to the feeling of hay fever.

Sickness is no stranger to people working on the vineyards. While the mold is good for the grapes, it is not good for those spending time around it. Some experience flu-like symptoms, such as bronchitis, shortness of breath, cough, fatigue, chills, pain, and more. This is known as “Winegrowers Lung.” It is important to get it treated, as without treatment it can cause finger and toe clubbing, weight loss, and fibrosis of the lung.

Eye infections are also known to be caused by gray mold. Light sensitivity, eye pain, redness, and trouble seeing are all indicators of an infection. If you feel you may be experiencing an infection, it is important to get treated immediately so you don’t incur any permanent vision damage.

If you find this type of mold in your home, remove it immediately! In certain situations, you may decide to remove it yourself. If it is only a surface mold on a small area, you can usually take care of it. But, be sure to use proper tools and methods in order to prevent inhaling the spores or making it spread. Goggles, gloves, and a mask should always be on hand when dealing with mold. Also, keep the mold contained while you are removing it- a vacuum, duct tape, and plastic sheets are must-haves.

For most, contacting a professional gets the job done quicker, and more efficiently. Mold can be hard to see in the home, and professionals know just where to look. If you suspect that there is mold without seeing it, a mold remediator will be able to find the culprit of concern. Genesis Home Restoration will be glad to assist in locating, mitigating, and preventing mold.